The porch at our front door is small, holding a round table, a small side table, and four chairs. That's the capacity. When I worked, this is where my wife and I shared a bottle of Prosecco and a snack or light supper on my days off. In retirement, this is where I spend much of my time.
This porch is where I discovered that the late afternoon light in the summer turns the oak leaves silver. This porch is where I exchange greetings with neighbors out for a walk or out being walked by their dogs. This porch is where I can spend hours enjoying a book and a drink (whiskey with Faulkner, gin with John le Carre, coffee with Robert Caro, tea with Barbara Pym).
When I smoked a pipe, the porch was where I could indulge the vice without defiling the interior. The porch is where I can sit on a still summer day as the wind picks up suddenly, then watch as a storm rolls in. The porch is where I can savor the calm of the evening twilight until the mosquitoes chase me inside.
Loafing comes naturally to me, perhaps hereditarily. My grandfather, Lucien Lundy Early, a lifelong inveterate loafer, used to spend time with other elderly loafers on the front bench of the general store in Elizaville, Kentucky. Growing up in Kentucky, I was enough of a Southerner to understand that the way to deal with the oppressive heat is to sit there and not move. A propensity for loafing (and reading) made sitting still an easy skill to acquire.
It is a pity that so many houses have been built without front porches, or that people who have houses with porches do not take advantage of them. Yes, I know that many houses have decks, but decks are in the back, for family, for privacy. When you sit on your front porch, you are identifying yourself as a resident; you are making yourself visible and known; you are helping to people the neighborhood.
So if you should be minded to come by sometime to sit on the porch with me, I am not averse to genial conversation. That is one of the things it is for.
Wonderful! I’m addicted to my front porch, too.
ReplyDeleteI like your front porch.
ReplyDeleteAC ruined front porch sitting----sigh.
ReplyDelete