John McIntyre, whom James Wolcott calls "the Dave Brubeck of the art and craft of copy editing," writes on language, editing, journalism, and other manifestations of human frailty. Comments welcome. Identifying his errors relieves him of the burden of omniscience. Write to jemcintyre@gmail.com, befriend at Facebook, or follow at Twitter: @johnemcintyre. Back 2009-2012 at the original site, http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/mcintyre/blog/ and now at www.baltimoresun.com/news/language-blog/.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Lazy day

Driving more than a thousand miles over the weekend proved to be a little more taxing than I had expected, and a necessary trip this morning with Kathleen to Sam’s Club (don’t ask; just don’t ask) failed, oddly, to energize me.

So today’s offering is a link to a transcript of the weekend’s interview on NPR’s On the Media, in case you missed it. You can also download the audio if you’re pining to hear my dulcet tones.

And — a real bonus — the comments include a billet-doux from the ineffable Robert Knilands. Don’t miss it.*



*I’ve resumed comment moderation here, so you will have to look elsewhere for his gnomic remarks.

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe I didn't hear that! It must have been a non-"driveway moment." I would have whooped and yelled, "You go, Mr. McIntyre!" But maybe it's good that I didn't hear it while I was driving . . . sort of a road hazard to whoop and holler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/07/palin-speech-edit-200907

    I thought you might enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't aware of Mr Knilands so I googled him. Count me astonished - I just read a whole interview with him claiming that layout is bunk and online news pages don't need to be designed. Amazing.

    Your interview, though, is brilliant. I did a small silent cheer when you talked about quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was there a particular reason for the transcript to be headlined "Neswpaper Leighoffs" or was it an attempt to milk some humor out of the topic?

    Retired in Elkridge

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that humor was the intention.

    ReplyDelete